Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Craft Fair



This is me, above, at the base Borden Christmas Craft Fair, just before it opened. It was a lot of fun! I rented a table together with a good friend, Janet-Lynn. The whole thing was her idea to begin with. We each had our own table and they were together on an inside corner. A great location!
Janet works in Base Borden. She's actually IN the army, so she has the inside scoop on things like this. We've been friends since beofre she was a soldier. You should see her in her uniform! Wow!

We had a lot of fun at the sale! She's always good company!
I sold soap and artsy craft items and Janet sold baked goods and Christmas tree decorations. It all went together very well.



She sold a lot of peanut brittle. It was delicious! - so were her frosted banana cookies! Isn't that a cute sign she made?






This is my soap display. I put soap balls in muffin papers at the front for people to handle and sniff. It helped to keep hands and noses off the bars of soap for sale. It worked well so I think I will do that all the time. I also had a lot of brown sugar body scub with vitamin E that did not sell. I don't know what to do with it now. I can sell some at work. Freeze the rest?
I did sell a lot of customized handpainted Christmas tree balls. Customers bought the balls and wrote down the names they wanted on them and I painted the names on while they shopped. I will do that again at the next Christmas fair.

It was a learning experience for us, learning what sells and what doesn't. It has been years (decades) since I did this sort of thing. There were a lot of jewelry booths there and I'm not sure it sold well. At least I know not to make jewelry for sale at a bazaar.

I took my big paintings and had a very good price on them, but they didn't sell. Large ticket items like that are not what people buy at fairs and bazaars so I didn't expect much. I sold a lot of soap, so I was happy.



I sold a few pies too. I didn't sell them all but that's ok. They'll go right into the freezer here and we will eat them. I would just have to bake more for us, anyway. My guys eat a lot of squash pies! That's one reason I chose to make them. I knew there would be a few left.
Janet brought the top of her artificial Christmas tree to hang a few of her decorations on for display. I thought that was a great idea!
I'm taking a rest from crafting for awhile now, except for a day or two of teaching a friend to make soap. I need to work on Buck's new electric fence (getting the posts and, maybe, the wiring today) and to redecorate the entire indoor area of the house. I want to experiment with making truffles and fancy hand made candies in fancy little boxes for gifts. I have some almond sherry saved for that purpose.

After Christmas, in the wintertime, I am going to take a serious look at teaching classes again. I have taught soap making before and it's great fun, as well as lucrative and I will definitely be doing that again. I have taught art classes too, but that's a bit trickier and not as interesting. I might do that, maybe, as I know many people who are interested in art lessons for their kids, but I am more interested in teaching adults. I might get an above ground pool in the spring and teach private swimming lessons, too. I have the papers and the experience to do so, having done it for years at the YMCA.

The soap classes I am definitely doing. I'm not too sure about the others. It's just something to think about.

All in all, I would call the craft fair a success. I made some money and had a lot of fun! We are planning a big garage/craft sale in the early spring on my busy highway corner. The sale we are planning will be enough to keep me busy this spring! I have enough plants to clear out and pot up to fill a football field! It promises to be a lot of fun! I'll post the date when it's set. If you are in the area, plan to stop in for it!

3 comments:

Granny J said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the craft fair. I think your idea for the spring sale is a good idea. I always look for plants at yard sales in the spring.

Patrice said...

I'm glad it went well. When I used to do them, I found that you could never predict what would sell. Some days there would be a run on something that would surprise me, and other times the biggest seller wouldn't be touched. We generally found that folks were always ready to pull out a twenty dollar bill, but only a handful would buy large amounts. (That was 10 years ago- maybe that 20 is now 50.)

The Japanese Redneck said...

Glad you were able to see a good bit of your crafts.