Monday, August 1, 2011

First Onion Harvest


This is not my first ever onion growing, but it is my first harvest. Live and learn. I'm so pleased! Next year I will grow them again, and some red onions and sweet onions and...

I read that the time to harvest the entire crop is when half the onions have tops laying down. Well, 3/4 of my onions had tops laying down. I didn't know the onion tops fell over by themselves. When they first started to fall over, I blamed the deer! lol!

I know they have to cure in the dry shade. These will get the early morning sun so I will have to put up some cardboard to block it in the mornings. I have a monstera potted yesterday beside them that needs to sun blocked until the roots grow, anyway.

When can I braid the tops and hang them from the ceiling to dry?

4 comments:

The Japanese Redneck said...

We only grow the green/scallion onions.

Those are going to taste sooooo good.

Rose H (UK) said...

Wow! Great onion harvest :o)
You need to braid them while the tops are still flexible.

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

THey are good ! I just cooked two "eat-me-first" onions with calves liver for dinner! It's delicious!

Thanks for the into Rose. I will braid them tomorrow :-)

Janice said...

Red Onion Marmalade is delicious on chicken or slathered on jalapeno cornbread. I made it last year, and was so surprised how good it is. Your onion harvest looks great.
http://columbiacreations.blogspot.com/2010/08/red-onion-marmalade.html