Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chess Pie


For those of you from the north, chess pie is an old southern favourite and it's delicious! I don't know why it's well known in the south and not so much up here. It's not like pecan pie, where the pecans are grown there and sold in huge bags, cheaply, at the side of the road. There is nothing in a chess pie that everyone doesn't have in their kitchen.

It's a new discovery for us, sort of. I grew up in the south and my dad used to buy chess pies a few times a year from Mississippi State Univ, along with their edam cheese balls, but I had forgotten all about them until recently, many decades later. It just hit me one day when I was thinking about waxing cheese balls - "Chess Pie!".

I Googled it and found the actual Mississippi State chess pie recipe online. I gave it to my husband.

I don't do a lot of actual cooking around here. I experiment a lot and play around some with recipes and DIY stuff. I do some gluten free baking and usually make the muffins, but I'm not the "cook". Hubby is, and he is marvelous at it! He's the best natural cook I have ever known, so I gave him the recipe.

He played with it a lot, making it several times over and over again. Looking up various other recipes online and comparing them all, adding ingredients and taking away others. After many chess pies that were not up to his standards (many were delicious anyway) he came up with the perfect recipe.

Most chess pie recipes out there are runny. There is a lot of discussion on how to prevent this out on the 'net. Hubby has perfected it. Preheating the ingredients, actually cooking some of them, is the key.

Here is his recipe with directions:

Chess Pie Perfected
1/4 lb butter or hard margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon yellow corn meal
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 eggs, beaten

Melt butter, add sugar and vinegar. Bring this to a boil, stirring constantly. Mix together the eggs, salt and vanilla. Add the hot butter mix to the egg mix and beat well. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 325F for 40 minutes.

Serve cold or hot. Personally, I like it hot, about 1/2 hour out of the oven, with whipped cream on it.

It's so simple! I could not believe that one of the most delicious pies I have ever eaten has only these simple ingredients in it! The top of the pie cooks to a lovely golden brown, sort of like creme brulee and the flavour is fantastic!

Chess pie is reminiscent of butter tarts, but so much better! It would be nice with pecans in it, or raisins, if you like them in butter tarts, but it's just fine without either!

7 comments:

Brenda@MyBackyardFarmyard said...

This looks delicious! I think that I will replace the sugar with organic palm sugar, which I buy at the Bulk Barn. My husband has to watch his blood sugar levels and we have found that the palm sugar doesn't cause a spike in his glucose levels. Either way, it should be yummy!

pilgrimscottage said...

I've heard of chess pie but, never had it. May try this recipe.

The Japanese Redneck said...

The cheese balls are wonderful, never head their chess pie.

But, I've had it before from other places and it's good stuff.

Diane@Peaceful Acres Farm said...

Although your cheese pie looks yummy that's not what I wanted to tell you.....my red hibiscus seeds that I bought from you are up!!! So tickled! Germination is spotty so I'll start more. Thanks so much for the wonderful seeds!!! :-)

Providence Acres Farm said...

Hi Diane!

I'm so glad they are growing well for you! They do grow easily from seed. I grew many of mine from seed planted 4 years ago and they are all about 4'-5' tall and bloomed the third year from seed. I have about 2 doz of them!! lol! I have spread them out all over the place. I love them!

You will probably get a mix of colours ranging from red to white with red center and all shades of pink in between.

Shayne Henry said...

I'm trying this recipe for first time. After looking over several other recipes, I'm going with this one based onyour hubby's trial and error method of perfecting it. The only thing I want to add is the recipe doesn't specify when to add the cornmeal, so I kind of winged it and added it to the egg mixture. Thank you for the recipe and wish me luck!

Providence Acres Farm said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll love it! I don't think it matters when you add the cornmeal.